Home Forums Logelloop (English spoken) MIDI latching

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tom WhistonTom Whiston

Hi,

I’m trying to set up a midi map for logelloop and I realised that getting my controllers to reflect the state of logelloop is hard due to the way that it deals with midi. Most midi controllers, if used in a latching mode send 127 when turning on (usually lighting an LED) and 0 when turning off, this allows the controller button to reflect the software state. However logelloop expects 127 each time to toggle the state, which means that you can’t use toggle mode on hardware buttons, and thus can’t reflect the software state on the controller. Is there any way to work around this?

Hi Tom,
    The MIDI controller system is very old and was intended to listen to very old Midi footboards. I think your feature request makes perfect sense.
    We can add the toggle mode for MIDI controllers. I will probably not be implemented for the upcoming Logelloop 5.1 version but soon later…
    Which Midi controller model do you use?
    Thanks,
    Philippe

Tom WhistonTom Whiston

Thanks very much, I appreciate the response and the willingness to add new features 🙂 I actually did try this out with my line6 FBV shortboard mkII foot controller as well when I was initially testing logelloop but because that also has the LED lights and latching features I found myself in the same position.

I’m using an old bcf2000 currently (though I have a lot of other controllers too this one seems the best for my plans) but I’m considering the upgrade to a behringer x-touch compact. I think it’s a bit of a shame that these controllers have not all implemented OSC I/O though!

Hi Tom,
    I have a BCF200, I will add the toggle mode with it.
    I made a template for Lemur, if you have an iPad, that could be a solution in some cases…
    hanks for your answer,
    Philippe.

Tom WhistonTom Whiston

Hi Philippe, Just to follow on from this I was diving into the new update and I realized that with my midi foot controller I cannot actually control korpus because it only accepts note inputs for commands. The footswitch I have (https://line6.com/foot-controllers/fbv-shortboard-mkii) only outputs cc and program change messages. Why does the distinction between commands and controls exist? Surely a cc with a value of 127 is essentially the same as a note (and a 0 is the same as an off message, to fulfil the latching behaviour we discussed above). Would it be possible to allow korpus midi control to work with cc’s as well as notes?

Hi,The differentiation only exist to simplify the code and the user interface.
    I was sure that every pro controller would be able to send Midi notes…
    I will do my best to provide a solution ASAP.
    Philippe

Tom WhistonTom Whiston

I was also very surprised that the controller did not send notes!
    If I had to choose between being able to control korpus with cc’s and the original topic of midi latching for visual feedback on buttons I would definitely choose the latching because I can work around cc’s to notes with a max patch.

I don’t know what ‘latching’ really means but Korpus has a midi feedback. I was thinking that was your request, so, i made it.
    P

Tom WhistonTom Whiston

The midi feedback is a great addition, thank you 🙂 What I meant by ‘latching’ was the behaviour of some midi controllers in what is usually either called latching or toggle states, in this state the controller outputs cc/note with 127 value when turning on (and usually lights an LED on the controller) and then on the next press outputs the cc/note with a value of 0 (and usually deactivates the light on the controller), but I realize now that because of the need to make a distinction between short and long presses in logelloop this is not really possible.

Hi Tom, There is a second raison for not using latching or toggle mode is that it seems important tom me to be able to have several midi controllers for the same action. so that, one musician can launch a record somewhere on the stage and another musician can stop the record… Or, even, you can move from a controller to another. Also, if your loop recording is stopped by a script for something else, the state of the controller is indicating the state of the software and not is own state.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.